Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
(Recipe from abigcupoftea.blogspot.com)
Makes about 30 small peanut butter cups...but I added to the recipe as I went and ended up with something like 50 haha (:
1 c. creamy peanut butter
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 bag (12 or 16 oz...depending how much chocolate you want in your cups) of milk chocolate chips (I used semisweet)
1/4 tsp. salt
Mini muffin cups (30 or so...or really how ever many you want to use! It's mega easy to just add as you go to make the batch bigger)
1. Fill a mini-muffin pan with the muffin liners.
2. Microwave half of chocolate chips for about 1 minute in a glass or microwaveable bowl. Stir until creamy; you might need to microwave them a little more. Make sure you do not overcook them! Then using a spoon, spread the chocolate evenly within the muffin cups - making sure you fill the crevices on the sides. Fill up each cup about 1/3 full.
3. Place the coated muffin cups in the freezer so that the chocolate hardens (about 10 minutes).
4. In a separate bowl, combine the peanut butter and salt and fold in the powdered sugar (note: to make sure the peanut butter doesn't stick to the measuring cup, be sure to spray the cup with non-stick cooking spray!).
5. When the chocolate cups have hardened, put the peanut butter mixture into the microwave for 45-60 seconds. This will soften the peanut butter mixture, making it easier to work with. Spoon the peanut butter into the chocolate cups (making it so each cup is just about halfway full), leaving a little room for the top layer of chocolate.
6. Place the cups in the freezer for about 10 minutes to allow the peanut butter to harden.
7. Just before removing the peanut butter cups from the freezer, melt the remaining chocolate chips as you did for the first layer. Remove cups from freezer and spread with another layer of melted chocolate.
8. Place in freezer to set (at least another 10 minutes). You can either serve these frozen or keep them in the refrigerator or keep at room temperature to serve (they are best kept frozen until serving! That way they don't melt). (: