11.30.2011

Apple Cinnamon Muffins


Apple Cinnamon Muffins
(Recipe adapted from bakingbites.com)

Makes a dozen muffins (but I doubled it exactly to make two dozen!)

Ingredients:

Muffins:
2 c. all-purpose flour (I used half white, half whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger (I substituted all-spice because I didn't have ginger)
3/4 c. brown sugar (I used dark)
1 large egg
2 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. buttermilk (I used 1% milk)
1 1/2 c. diced apple (Granny Smith has the best flavor!)

Topping:
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
3. In a large bowl, mix together brown sugar and egg. Whisk in melted butter, canola oil and vanilla. Gradually and alternately stir in both the flour and buttermilk, ending with an addition of flour and mixing only until no streaks of flour remain visible in the batter. Stir in diced apple.
4. Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin cups filling each to the top, or slightly over.
5. In a small bowl, stir together sugar and additional 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (topping mix). Sprinkle generously over muffins.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes (I baked mine for 17, I think), until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed. Cool muffins on a wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm h ow have I never seen this?! looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...