1.08.2010

the big two-five.

for starters, happy new year (:

in the past week since i've gotten back out here to byu, my roommates + i have been talking about all the 'memories' we've had in the past semester. throughout the week, we'll just randomly bring something up that happened, inside jokes, or other little tidbits like dates gone bad or nights gone wonderfully. it's been fun reminiscing + laughing (and sometimes almost crying) at the different things we've all been through together.

and then it hit me.

we've only been out here a little under four months together. but we've made a ridiculous amount of memories.. even just yesterday we were sitting around at dinner cracking up about one particularly awkward date one of us was a part of just last term..

my main point in this post is, today marks the twentyfifth wedding anniversary of my mom + dad. twenty five years ago, they were sealed for time and all eternity in the santiago, chile temple. it's crazy to think of how different my life would be if they hadn't made that decision, first off. but the part that's even cooler is this..

they've shared over 300 months together. 1,300 weeks. 9,129 days. 219,096 hours. you get the picture, it's basic arithmetic. that's an noteworthy amount of time to be together and have a wonderful, lasting, successful and happy relationship together in today's society.

my parents are my heroes. i love them with all my heart and i know they love me too. i can't think of a greater blessing than the opportunity + ability to be a part of the family i am, and to be a part of a church that truly believes (as i do, as well) that i can be with all of them - my mom, dad, ruth+drew, anna, + daniel - forever. and that wouldn't be possible if my parents hadn't taken those first few steps together, twenty five years ago.

my parents have shared more than 75x the amount of time my roommates + i have had together this past term (..which already feels like has been an eternity in some ways); made more than 75x the amount of memories. obviously my time with my roommates is in no way comparable to a marriage (for a number of obvious reasons..) but i've never seen two people more in love, more happy to see each other everyday, more dedicated to doing whatever it takes to make the other smile. growing up and seeing them together everyday has only made me more excited to find my own eternal companion (or husband, as the rest of the world views it), just in the hopes that we'll be a fraction as happy as my own parents are together. although it's important to mention, contrary to popular belief, i'm in absolutely zero rush to get married; i'm perfectly content waiting awhile longer for mr. right to come along (: thanks byu.

so here's to you two: my heroes, my teachers, my role models, my parents. thank you so much for everything. i love you both sososo much + wish you many many more happy years to come (:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...